- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour (can substitute gluten-free flour, adding 3/4 tsp xanthan gum if your blend doesn't already contain it)
- 1/2 cup Dutch-process unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 TBSP unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 6 TBSP vegetable shortening, melted and cooled
- 2 extra-large eggs at room temperature, beaten
- 1 tsp Bickford Pure Vanilla flavor
- 1/2 tsp Bickford Chocolate flavor
- 2 pints ice cream, any flavor, softened in refrigerator
- Preheat oven to 325. Line rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper and set them aside.
- In a large bowl, place the flour, xanthan gum (if using GF flour), cocoa powder, brown sugar, granulated sugar and salt. Whisk to combine. Add butter, shortening, eggs, Bickford Pure Vanilla flavor, and Bickford Chocolate flavor, mixing to combine after each addition. The dough should come together, and be smooth and pliable.
- Divide the dough into two equal portions, and place each between two sheets of unbleached parchment paper. Roll each into a rectangle about 1/4 inch thick, and place both rectangles in the freezer for 10 minutes or until firm.
- Remove the rolled out dough from the freezer, and cut into heart shapes. Place the cutouts about 1 inch apart on the prepared baking sheets. With a toothpick, poke evenly-spaced holes in each cutout (see picture above for reference).
- Place the baking sheets, one at a time, in the center of the preheated oven and bake, rotating once during baking, for about 7 minutes or until the top of a cookie springs back when pressed gently. Do not over bake. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the baking sheet until firm.
- Place desired amount of ice cream on the bottom (flat) side of one cookie and very gently spread it evenly over the cookie. Place the bottom side of another cookie on top of the ice cream. Repeat for all cookies. Wrap each cookie in parchment or waxed paper and freeze immediately.
Recipe adapted from Gluten-Free on a Shoestring: https://glutenfreeonashoestring.com/ice-cream-sandwich-chocolate-wafer-cookies/
Image by Cláudia Assad from Rio Branco/AC, Brasil (Valentine's Day Uploaded by Szczebrzeszynski) [CC BY 2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons