One of the joys of childhood is sour candies in the summertime! Lemon drops are an all-time favorite of many and Cara over at Fork and Beans has a great recipe for homemade lemon drop candies! Bickford's lemon flavor will shine through and delight your inner child! Here's our Bickford adaptation of her recipe:
- 1 c. sugar
- ¼ c. corn syrup
- 3-4 Tb water
- 2 tsp citric acid
- 2-3 drops all-natural yellow food coloring
- Bickford lemon flavoring
- Place parchment paper into a small pan (an 8 or 9" square or round pan will work).
- Place sugar, corn syrup, and water into a saucepan. Bring to soft boil, stirring constantly.
- Place candy thermometer into saucepan. Do not stir anymore at this point. Once it reaches 310 degrees, remove from heat.
- Allow the mix to sit for 30 seconds-1 minute. Place a couple of drops of coloring, flavoring, and citric acid and stir.
- Pour into parchment-lined pan. Let it cool briefly for 4 minutes (you want the candy harden a little but still soft so you can cut through it).
- Using kitchen scissors, cut into desired shapes. Dust with powdered or fine-textured sugar (this keeps from the candy from sticking together).
Recipe adapted from this recipe by Cara at Fork and Beans.
Photo by Richard Stebbing from Sudbury, United Kingdom (Lemon) [CC BY-SA 2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons