You've heard of Peanut Butter Cupcakes...well here's our spin. The Almond Butter Cupcake. Inspired by one of our customers, Wine Down Sweets Cafe, we decided to whip up a nice alternative that we think will become your new favorite.
For the Cupcakes
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons Bickford Flavors Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 teaspoon Bickford Flavors Almond Flavor
- 1/2 cup buttermilk, shaken & room temperature
For the Almond Butter Icing
- 1/2 cups unsalted butter, softened, but not melted
- 1 cup creamy almond butter
- 1/2 teaspoon Bickford Flavors Almond Flavor
- 2-4 tablespoons water, for consistency
- Almond butter cups for decorating
Instructions for Cupcakes
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
In a large bowl whisk together the dry ingredients - flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
Combine the wet mixture with dry ingredients by adding 1/2 of the flour mixture, followed by 1/2 of the buttermilk. Repeat the process with the rest of the flour & buttermilk.
Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin pan, filling each about 2/3rds full.
Bake for 15-17 minutes until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
*Allow the cupcakes to cool completely in the muffin pan on a wire rack.
For the Almond Butter Frosting
Whip the butter, then add in the peanut butter and continue beating until until evenly combined.
Slowly whip in the powdered sugar. Once almost all of the sugar has been added, whip in the Bickford Flavors Almond Flavor and water 1 tablespoon at a time until the desired consistency is reached.
Frost the icing using a piping bag or with the flat-edge of a knife. Top with mini almond butter cup.