- 3 envelopes plain (unflavored) gelatin
- 1 1/4 cups water, separated into 1/2 cup and 3/4 cup
- 2 cups sugar
- Liquid food coloring
- Bickford Mint, Spearmint, Orange, Lemon, Cinnamon, Cherry, or Anise flavoring
- Oil for greasing candy mold/pan
- Sugar for topping the candies
- Very lightly grease candy molds or pans with cooking oil. Set aside.
- Pour 1/2 cup cold water into a large bowl. Sprinkle with the gelatin, stir and set aside.
- To a saucepan, add 3/4 cup water and 2 cups sugar. Bring to a boil. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Pour the hot sugar mixture into the gelatin mixture. Stir until the gelatin is completely dissolved.
- Break mixture into separate bowls for each color/flavor combination. For a full batch of just one color, add 24 drops of food coloring. If you separated the batch, just start with a few drops of each color and increase until desired color is achieved.
- For a full batch of just one color, add 1 tsp Bickford flavor and stir. Add more flavor, if desired. If you split the batch into separate bowls, start with a few drops of flavoring and increase to desired taste.
- Pour into pans or molds. Chill for several hours or overnight.
- Remove gumdrops from molds. Roll each gumdrop in a bowl of sugar to coat.