- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
- flour for dusting (use rice flour for a gluten-free cake)
- 1 cup plus 2 TBSP sugar
- 1/2 tsp Bickford Orange Flavor
- 4 eggs plus 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- powdered sugar, for dusting
- Optional for serving: candied orange peel and/or vanilla ice cream
- Preheat oven to 375°. Grease a 10-inch round cake pan with butter and dust with flour. Line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper, then butter and flour the parchment.
- Melt the chocolate over a double broiler. Once melted, stir in butter until melted and smooth. Remove from double broiler. Add sugar and Bickford Orange Flavor and whisk until well combined. Allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Once the mixture is no longer hot, add the eggs and egg yolks and whisk well. Sift the cocoa powder over the chocolate mixture and whisk the batter until totally smooth.
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake for approximately 35-40 minutes, or until the top has formed a good crust. Cool the cake in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes. Invert the cake onto a serving platter. Dust with powdered sugar and serve with candied orange peel and/or vanilla ice cream.
Adapted from http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/orange-flourless-chocolate-cake-for-the-reagan-family-237710