Ingredients for Cookies:
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon Bickford Anise Flavor
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour (may need up to 3 cups)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 -3 tablespoons milk
Ingredients for Icing:
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2-3 drops Bickford Anise Flavor
- food coloring
- decorative candy sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing after each addition.
- Add Bickford Anise Flavor.
- In a separate bowl, blend flour and baking powder.
- Turn mixer on med-low and add about 1/3 of the dry ingredients to the butter/sugar/egg mixture then add 1 T. milk. Add another third of the flour and another 1 T. milk. Finally, mix in enough of the remaining flour until your dough is like a brownie batter (it should be softer than a drop cookie dough).
- Use a 1 T. cookie scooper to make simple round drop cookies - use wet fingers to pat any rough edges OR for an Easter-Egg look, roll 1 T. dough into an elongated ball.
- Bake cookies 10-12 minutes (they won't be brown but the insides will be soft and cake-like).
- Mix sugar, milk and Bickford Anise Flavor to make a sugar glaze.
- If you're adding food coloring, divide the glaze into bowls and add color(s).
- Glaze cookies and immediately top with sprinkles.
- Allow icing to harden overnight; then store in air-tight containers or freeze.
Recipe adapted from http://www.food.com/recipe/italian-anise-cookies-with-icing-and-sprinkles-214498?photo=324303